Day 17 Mon 2 June Juneau

We are now in a temperate rainforest climate which means lots of rain. The guide says it rains 360 days a year. And so rain we get, then sunshine briefly before the next rain. There were 3 other cruise ships in dock when we arived in Juneau at lunchtime. People everywhere.

Greg headed off for his bike ride to the Mendallhall Glacier and then to a brewery. I hadn't rebooked anything after cancelling zipline tour because I had done it in Whistler, so I was  'doing it myself'. The $3 shuttle bus took me into town where I caught the white Glacier Shuttle to Mendallhall Glacier.

We had been on a glacier in Canada but it was still Wow when I saw this one. There were ice blocks floating in the lake at its base, a lake which didn't exist 50 years ago. It was raining and cold and the visitor centre was very crowded. I bumped into Anne & Bob who were on their organised tour, and had not brought their coats with them. The film they were shown about the geology and geography of the area was great but there were too many people to view the exhibition comfortably. I caught the shuttle back into town then the tramway (cablecar) up to Mt Roberts where I bumped into ....... guess who!

I watched a performance of an Alaskan String Band who told stories of the town and people through their music against a background of historical images. Very enjoyable! The rain stopped so I followed the rangers directions to a lookout where lots of wildlife had been seen that day - nothing! In the queue to catch the tramway back down, an eagle circled and landed in a tree nearby. That was all the wildlife I saw.

We all agreed that downtown Juneau was unappealing, just one jewellery shop after another with the occasional T shirt or gift shop thrown in. Whatever character it must have once had, has been destroyed by tourism.

I returned to the ship about 6 pm expecting Greg to say, where have you been? But he wasn't in our room. I just opened a bottle of wine while I waited for him when there was a knock on the door A & B came in to join me. Greg arrived shortly after, quite happy after his brewery sampling and the bike ride too of course!

Juneau harbour with 4 cruise ships (ours is the just the bow on the far left)



No comments:

Post a Comment